RE: CVE Current States

Here is what I think we are driving to in this thread. We can discuss
more on the call today if needed.

Format (Note that not all STATEs will need STATE_DETAIL or
STATE_DESCRIPTION):
"STATE": "<state_name>",
"STATE_DETAIL": "<sub-state_name>" // e.g., duplicate assignment,
merged, etc.
"STATE_DESCRIPTION": "<prose_desc>" // could be almost anything, but
would be needed for REJECT explanations e.g., a reference to the new
CVE, etc.

Example:
"STATE": "REJECT",
"STATE_DETAIL": "DUPLICATE_ASSIGNMENT"
"STATE_DESCRIPTION": "it all went horribly wrong"

STATE:UNASSIGNED: A CVE that has never been RESERVED. The CVE master
list provides an error message in the case that someone attempts to
view this CVE ID.
Example: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=cve-2001-10000
STATE_DETAIL:N/A (I don't believe it would ever be needed)

STATE:RESERVED: A CVE Identifier (CVE ID) is marked as "RESERVED" when
it has been reserved for use by a CVE Numbering Authority (CNA) or
security researcher, but the details of it are not yet populated.
Example: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2000-1253
STATE_DETAIL:CNA_ALLOCATED - Provided as part of a block request to a
CNA
STATE_DETAIL:ASSIGNED - assigned to a vulnerability

STATE:REJECT: A CVE ID listed as "REJECT" is a CVE ID that is not
accepted as a CVE ID. The reason a CVE ID is marked REJECT will most
often be stated in the description of the CVE ID.
Example: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-8784
STATE_DETAIL:DUPLICATE_ASSIGNMENT
STATE_DETAIL:DUPLICATE_RESERVATION
STATE_DETAIL:DUPLICATE_TYPO_SEQ_OR_YEAR
STATE_DETAIL:MIXED_ISSUES_OR_DUAL_USE
STATE_DETAIL:MERGED
STATE_DETAIL:WITHDRAWN
STATE_DETAIL:EXPIRED
STATE_DESCRIPTION: // probably the only STATE where this is required

STATE:DISPUTED: When one party disagrees with another party's assertion
that a particular issue in software is a vulnerability, a CVE ID
assigned to that issue may be designated as being "DISPUTED". In these
cases, CVE is making no determination as to which party is correct.
Instead, we make note of this dispute and try to offer any public
references that will better inform those trying to understand the facts
of the issue.
Example: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-8912
STATE_DETAIL:N/A (I don't believe it would ever be needed)

STATE:POPULATED: The CVE entry has been published with at least a
minimum amount of detail and at least one public reference.
Example: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-0002
STATE_DETAIL:N/A (I don't believe it would ever be needed)

Chris