From: <owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org> on behalf of jericho <jericho@attrition.org>
Date: Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 23:29
To: cve-editorial-board-list <cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org>
Subject: Symantec / SecurityFocus CVE reference problems

Board,

SecurityFocus is owned by Symantec, who is a CNA. SecurityFocus manages

the 'BID' database. Many years back the managers were responsive to

feedback on the VIM mail list, and occasionally to direct email. The last

few years, they have become completely unresponsive to any issues. In this

case, they are using the wrong CVE IDs for some of their entries, due to

typos. This would normally be no issue if they were prompt in fixing them.

As a recent example, I contacted them on 2017-04-05 regarding a typo CVE

in the title of BID 97400 [1]. To this day they have not corrected it. I

contacted them yesterday regarding a similar issue in BID 97590 [2], where

they are using CVE-2017-7126 instead of the referenced vendor advisory

which uses CVE-2017-7216 [3].

Since Symantec is a CNA, they must be more prudent in correcting such

errors. Their lack of replies to pointing out such issues for several

years now make me believe that MITRE needs to reach out to them and

impress upon them the significance of maintaining accurate CVE ID