Re: Mozilla improper CVE assignment, does not conform to CNA rules

Greetings,

Thanks for pointing this out. We will investigate this with Mozilla and report back.

-Dan

From: <owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org> on behalf of jericho <jericho@attrition.org>
Date: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 20:28
To: cve-editorial-board-list <cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org>
Subject: Mozilla improper CVE assignment, does not conform to CNA rules

Board,

We see this from time-to-time across many CNAs. I don't know if this has

happened with Mozilla in the past, and I don't have time to dig into my

notes. But with one of today's Mozilla advisories, they assigned a single

new CVE ID to represent three other distinct issues in third-party code,

that already had CVE IDs. They even go so far as to quote the prior IDs.

If this is not the case, then it certainly is confusing to Mozilla

consumers and CVE stakeholders.

Brian

--

CVE-2017-5437: Vulnerabilities in Libevent library

Description

Three vulnerabilities were reported in the Libevent library that allow for

out-of-bounds reads and denial of service (DoS) attacks: CVE-2016-10195,

CVE-2016-10196, and CVE-2016-10197. These were fixed in the Libevent

library and these changes were ported to Mozilla code.

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: April 25, 2017