Re: CVE-2017-7269 and abandonware

I know for a fact we have Linux that is 10 years out of support (EoL) and still in use, and if there was a flaw specific to that (and not newer versions) I would still CVE it so at least people are aware of the flaws existence. And like G.I. Joe says "knowing is half the battle".

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Coffin, Chris <ccoffin@mitre.org> wrote:
I agree with Kent's perspective on this.

In this specific case, the discoverer contacted the CNA and received a case number. However, they were told that the unsupported/obsolete product was outside the scope of the CNA.

> What are the assignment rules for abandonware (or unsupportedware)?

As Kent mentioned, this would be a good Board discussion and we could drive to a specific CNA rule that covers this situation. Does anyone disagree with Kent's perspective?

> Is the vendor CNA primarily responsible, if one exists?

Yes. We should always give them the opportunity and redirect to them first if they exist. If they refuse, then a next available CNA could be contacted. One item for the Board discussion, as the backup CNA how would we verify that this conversation took place.

Chris