RE: CVE-CNA JSON Format Proposal

First, some thoughts on definitions. I’m not sure if everyone is speaking the same language in this case.

ASSIGNER: The organization or individual who assigns a CVE ID to a vulnerability. The organization may or may not have discovered the vulnerability. By default, a CVE CNA would be the ASSIGNER whenever they used a CVE ID from their allocated block. DWF Mentors could be a special exception.

SOURCE: The organization or individual who reports the details of a vulnerability and is requesting a CVE ID. The SOURCE would report the details and request the CVE ID though a CNA, or in some cases may be the CNA themselves if found internally. Also, this would match up with the discoverer of the vulnerability.

For the ASSIGNER, MITRE already has this information today based on who is providing the details. We would have no issue in suggesting that the ASSIGNER be required within the minimal format. The reasoning could include the bulleted list below.

-          For the purposes of the current use case, CNAs sharing JSON data with MITRE means that the ASSIGNER would always be the CNA. Right?

-          MITRE is already keeping track of email addresses for CNAs now, but wouldn’t think it’d be terribly difficult to have CNAs include both CNA name and email in any submissions going forward.

-          As suggested by Kurt, the ASSIGNER information could be automatically created for CNAs in whatever tools they use for submission

The SOURCE of a CVE would also be interesting to obtain, but we may not always get this since some SOURCES may choose to remain anonymous. Also, in the current use case of CNA submissions to MITRE, I don’t see this as a requirement at the moment, though i am certainly open to others opinions. I’m not sure that we want to actually list SOURCE emails or names as this could get difficult to maintain in some cases (e.g., disputes over who discovered a vulnerability, etc.).

One thought is that we could simply just try to understand whether or not the SOURCE is the affected software maintainer vs someone else. The benefit to requesting this information would be in providing a kind of validity check for the vulnerability and its details. For the MITRE CNA, if the vulnerability was provided by a CNA then there is a certain level of trust. Whereas a vulnerability reported by a random researcher to the MITRE web form might not have that same level of trust. Thoughts?

Art: Are you ok with moving forward if we just make sure to include ASSIGNER as part of the minimum JSON format?

Chris