Re: CVE for hosted services

FYI, this was asked to clarify policy in December. MITRE's official
response:

From: "Evans, Jonathan L." <jevans@mitre.org>
To: jericho <jericho@attrition.org>, cve-cna-list
<cve-cna-list@lists.mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 14:10:17 +0000
Subject: RE: site-specific vulnerabilities and CVE inclusion

> First, can MITRE chime in and verify this is still current policy
regarding site-specific issues?

It is still against the rules to assign a CVE ID to a site-specific
vulnerability.  INC3 in the CNA Rules says "Is the vulnerability
site-specific?... Yes: Do not assign a CVE ID."[1]

We are not opposed to assigning CVE IDs to site-specific
vulnerabilities.
When we finalized the CNA rules, we believed that we did not understand
the use cases for site-specific vulnerabilities well
enough to write rules on how to properly count them.  We fully expect
support for site-specific vulnerabilities to be a major topic of the
next
revision of the rules.

[1] http://cve.mitre.org/cve/cna/CNA_Rules_v1.1.pdf

--