Re: CVE request form is missing an important bit

Hi Chris,

What would your response have been if Brian had said the vulnerability
was ‘public’ in December 2016?  I get your justification/education in
this specific case but he has a valid point that the form needs to be
enhanced.  There is nothing that says you cannot add the explanation as
to how to appropriately use the ‘year’, but it is clear the form needs
to be able to support this type of issue.  The idea was we would send
in suggestion to enhance the submission form via real world experiences
and this seems to fit that case. ;-)  Granted, we should normally only
see this type of issue shortly after the 1st of any year but ...

FWIW.

---
Kent Landfield
+1.817.637.8026

On 1/5/17, 9:01 AM, "owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org on
behalf of Coffin, Chris"
<owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org on behalf of
ccoffin@mitre.org> wrote:

    The year portion of the ID is not meant to indicate when the
vulnerability was discovered. In general, the year portion translates
to either the request year, or the public disclosure year.

    We had explained the thought behind our process in an oss-security
post (quoted below) a couple of years ago [1]. The following is the
main take away from that post.

    "The year portion of a CVE ID typically reflects when the CVE was
requested for non-public issues; or for already-public issues, the year
portion typically reflects the year of disclosure. The disclosure date
itself can be a subject of interpretation, such as when an issue is
disclosed at a publicly-accessible URL but only likely to be noticed by
a limited audience ("technically public") versus when the issue becomes
"widely public" to the infosec industry."

    We could ask for this data in an optional field, but it might not
be used if the requester is unclear on how the year is currently used
in CVE. Would this be a problem on your side, i.e., you ask for a
specific year but it's assigned something different? Also, What would
the specific benefits be to allowing the requester to specify the year?

    If anyone else has any thoughts or opinions that would differ from
this, please let us know.

    [1] http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2015/q1/46

    Chris Coffin
    The CVE Team