Re: Rough Drafts of CVE Counting Documents

I would make it more generic:

weakness in the computational logic (e.g., code) -> weakness in the system

e.g. intersection vulns where unexpected mixing of behaviors result in a problem.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Coffin, Chris <ccoffin@mitre.org> wrote:

All,

Harold Booth and I had a couple of private exchanges regarding the vulnerability definition for the CNA Counting document. The following is the current definition as proposed by Pascal, as well as two of the most current iterations from Harold and I. The difference is obviously in the second sentence which covers both Kurt’s and Pascal’s original comments. I think we are leaning more towards the second version since it stays focused on the weakness aspect of the definition. Any thoughts on this would be hugely appreciated.

#0.1 (current definition from Pascal)

A vulnerability in the context of the CVE program, is indicated by code that can be exploited, resulting in a negative impact to confidentiality, integrity, OR availability, and that requires a coding change, specification change or specification deprecation to mitigate or address.

“A vulnerability in the context of the CVE program, is defined as any weakness in the computational logic (e.g., code) found in software or hardware devices, that could be exploited by a threat source, and result in a negative impact to the security of a system. Mitigation of the vulnerabilities in this context typically involve coding changes, but could also include specification changes or even specification deprecations (e.g., removal of affected protocols or functionality in their entirety).”

“A vulnerability in the context of the CVE program, is defined as any weakness in the computational logic (e.g., code) found in software or hardware devices, that could be exploited by a threat source, and result in a negative impact to the security of a system. A non-exhaustive list of examples where a weakness in logic could be found is in the specification of a protocol, description of an algorithm, design or architecture of a product, implementation, circuit layout, or fabrication of the product.”

Thanks Harold!

Chris