Re: Question about dual source vendors

Seems this conversation is morphing from simple clarification to
something broader.  Let me see if I can dissect this….

Kurt asked:
> I would like to propose that for vendors where Open Source is a major
> part of what they ship, or the core of their commercial; product that
> the DWF be able to take them under it's wing as it were.

This is a swim lane discussion.  Personally this should be something
decided by the parent CNA. In this case, that is MITRE.  I would have
no problem with the proposal as stated. When there are more Root CNAs
than just DWF, I believe we should let the “chain of administration”
established by the hierarchy make the decision.

Dan wrote:
> If neither of these situations fit, it will depend on how DWF manages
> their assignees. MITRE as a CNA has the advantage of being a trusted
> third party for vulnerability disclosure. When closed-source software
> is involved, that trust can be important. If DWF creates that same
> level of trust with closed-source vendors, they could also fulfill
> that role. But this leads to some tricky scoping issues, and it could
> create situations similar to "CNA shopping" or introduce other
> coordination issues.

I am sorry but I have heard this trust argument before and have never
believed it when it came to MITRE. I do believe it when it comes to a
Vulnerability Coordinators such a US-CERT.  Coordination requires much
more active hands on with highly sensitive information, working closely
with vendors and researchers to address issues and assure a coordinated
release.  MITRE touches some sensitive information but trust is not why
people come to MITRE for a CVE.  Just not.

You do bring up a great topic, CNA Shopping.  Pascal’s comments are
exactly how I feel as well.  Requesters should go to an identifiable
CNA as a normal course of action. I don’t believe we should completely
lock someone in to only 1 CNA.  In a hierarchy, the requester should be
able to walk the tree to circumvent a CNA that is refusing to work with
the requester. The requester should indicate the reason to the
secondary CNA as to why they are making the request to a CNA other than
their primary. That is valuable information as to the behavior of the
CNAs acceptance and activities.

---
Kent Landfield
+1.817.637.8026

On 6/17/16, 11:18 AM, "owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org
on behalf of Pascal Meunier"
<owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org on behalf of
pmeunier@cerias.purdue.edu> wrote:

I very much like the idea of someone being able to get an identifier
from an alternate CNA, when the CNA nominally responsible for an area
is
disfunctional or unwilling to perform, say due to a conflict of
interest
like refusing to admit that an issue is a real concern or trying to
delay disclosure.  These conflicts of interests are quite possible when
the CNA is also the vendor, which seems to be the model going forward.
There should ideally be alternate, secondary or "backup" CVE issuers
for
all domains.

Pascal

On 06/17/2016 11:32 AM, Andy Balinsky (balinsky) wrote:
> [...]
> regional CNA (e.g., JPCERT), the company could work directly with
> those CNAs, who will facilitate the CVE assignment and disclosure
> regardless.
>
> If neither of these situations fit, it will depend on how DWF manages
> their assignees. MITRE as a CNA has the advantage of being a trusted
> third party for vulnerability disclosure. When closed-source software
> is involved, that trust can be important. If DWF creates that same
> level of trust with closed-source vendors, they could also fulfill
> that role. But this leads to some tricky scoping issues, and it could
> create situations similar to "CNA shopping" or introduce other
> coordination issues.
>
> How do other folks feel about these scoping issues?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Dan
>

> ________________________________
> From:
> owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org<mailto:owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org>
>
> <owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org<mailto:owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org>>
>  on behalf of Kurt Seifried
> <kseifried@redhat.com<mailto:kseifried@redhat.com>>
> Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:13:58 PM
> To: cve-editorial-board-list
> Subject: Question about dual source vendors
>
> So increasingly we have "dual source" vendors, that is vendors with
> everything from fully OSI Open Source to completely closed source.
> Basically any large commercial vendor already (Microsoft, Oracle,
> etc.) and a growing number of others (witness the proliferation of
> GitHub projects).
>
> I am talking to one that is not a CNA, and they want to do CVEs for
> both their Open Source, and their closed source. But there is no easy
> way to do this currently other than ask
> cve-assign@mitre.org<mailto:cve-assign@mitre.org> directly (and it
> seems after they read the
> https://cve.mitre.org/cve/data_sources_product_coverage.html document
> they were under the impression
> cve-assign@mitre.org<mailto:cve-assign@mitre.org> could NOT do it).
>
> I would like to propose that for vendors where Open Source is a major
> part of what they ship, or the core of their commercial; product that
> the DWF be able to take them under it's wing as it were.
>
> One hypothetical example that fits into this model would be a company
> like Ansible (let's ignore the fact that Red Hat acquired it and as
> such Ansible falls under the Red Hat CNA), Ansible currently has
> "ansible" which is the Open Source core, and Ansible tower which is a
> currently closed source management/dashboard. I think in a case like
> this it makes sense to have a company like Ansible be a CNA under the
> DWF for both the Open Source parts and the closed source parts.
>
> Thought/comments?
>
> --
> Kurt Seifried -- Red Hat -- Product Security -- Cloud
> PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: June 21, 2016