RE: definitions for what is CVE worthy with downloads/installs and containers

Pascal -

Keep in mind that these statements were all made in the context of
reports that a product uses an http: URL to reach executable code, and
then executes that code. We currently do not want 100% of these reports
to receive CVE IDs, and thus this situation is a special case. The "CVE
ID request is rejected with a suggestion to consult with the vendor"
outcome is not a universal CVE ID assignment practice; it only applies
in a special case.

The rationale for not assigning CVE IDs to 100% is discussed in Kurt's
2016-06-06 message, e.g., "Documents mentioning what this is doing and
that it is dangerous." For example, within a specific product, use of
an http: URL to reach executable code may be documented, intentional,
and unavoidable. One scenario is that the code is owned by a third
party who operates only an http server, not an https server, and there
may be no way to achieve desired product functionality without
accepting the risk and proceeding with the http download. There are
other relevant scenarios as well.

This leaves the question of what is an appropriate timeframe for
allowing the affected vendor to respond in these cases. For example,
http://www.symantec.com/security/OIS_Guidelines%20for%20responsible%20disclosure.pdf
suggests about 10 days to acknowledge receipt, etc.

We feel that the ASUS example is consistent with the rest of our
2016-06-07 message.
http://teletext.zaibatsutel.net/post/145370716258/deadupdate-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and
has a timeline section showing that an attempt to consult with the
vendor occurred for more than a month, with a final outcome of "No
response from vendor." When there is no input from the vendor, only the
CNA is involved in the decision about whether the product has a
vulnerable behavior that CVE consumers may wish to track.

The CVE Team

> [...]
>for a
>vendor's server to offer the same executable code (or update service)
>through both HTTP and HTTPS, and the URL hardcoded into a client-side
>product was -- by design -- supposed to start with https, but it
>started with
>http by accident. Thus, if it is a vendor-initiated request for a CVE
>ID to tag a
>required security update for their customers, then the CVE ID request
>is
>always accepted.
>>
>> ·         If the origin of the CVE ID request seems unrelated to the
>> party that
>wrote the code, then (sometimes but not 100% of the time) the CVE ID
>request is rejected with a suggestion to consult with the vendor.
>>
>> ·         It would be hard to achieve 100% rejections, even if a CNA
>> wanted to,
>because the person sending the CVE ID request may neglect to mention,
>or
>may be unwilling to mention, the precise nature of the problem. A large
>fraction of the population believes that it is always a vulnerability
>for any
>product to continuously make requests for executable code over
>unencrypted HTTP, with no other integrity protection, and execute code
>whenever a response is received. Because that much is obvious in their
>world
>view, their vulnerability description may focus on other details, such
>as file-
>format manipulation, etc.
>>
>> ·         Our prevailing opinion is that, for this
>> HTTP/executable-code scenario,
>the best a CNA can do is assign CVE IDs in cases where they believe CVE
>consumers want those IDs to exist. If the requester sends a credible
>description of high exploitation likelihood, and there is no
>counterclaim from
>the vendor itself that this is "software acting exactly as it is
>designed," then it
>qualifies for a CVE ID.
>>
>> This matches what happened for ASUS (the vendor refused to respond at
>all). If another requester does not describe exploitation likelihood
>or asserts
>that there is essentially no exploitation likelihood, and there is no
>clarification
>from the vendor, then the request can be rejected on the "software
>acting
>exactly as it is designed" grounds.
>>
>> In other words, existence of a CVE ID should depend a little less on
>comprehensive theory of what a vulnerability is, and depend a little
>more on
>judgment about whether the ID will help real-life organizations with
>risk
>management. This requires a little more work from the CNA, but makes
>CVE
>more useful than with either the 100% accept or 100% reject options.

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: June 16, 2016