From:
<owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org<mailto:owner-cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org>>
 on behalf of "Booth, Harold (Fed)"
<harold.booth@nist.gov<mailto:harold.booth@nist.gov>>
Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 2:05 PM
To:
"cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org<mailto:cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org>"

<cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org<mailto:cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org>>
Subject: CVE Use Cases

During the last board call there was a discussion of use cases, and we
had agreed that it was the homework of the board. I would like to start
this thread to collect and identify the various use cases that exist
surrounding the use of a vulnerability identifier. I also took a swing
at identifying some requirements that these use cases create. I tried
to capture use cases that I have heard others voice in addition to
those that I am familiar with, and hopefully they can respond, update,
and correct them where I went astray. I found some of the information
at [1] useful while developing this list. I’m not sure if this is
enough, or the right level of detail for this activity, but wanted to
start with something relatively simple and go from there.

In the absence of any sort of glossary:
Software Provider: someone who creates, distributes, hosts, or
maintains products which can contain vulnerabilities for End Users
End User: someone who is the final user of products which can contain
vulnerabilities
Security Researcher: someone who investigates the security of products,
i.e. discover vulnerabilities
Vulnerability Coordinator: someone who as acts as a coordinator during
the vulnerability disclosure lifecycle

Each use case description is in the format of: <actor(s)> would like to
<perform some action/activity> in order to <satisfy some
objective/need>.

In no particular order:

1.
Software Provider, Security Researcher, and Vulnerability Coordinators
would like to be able to identify vulnerabilities throughout the
discovery, fix, and advisory publication lifecycle in order to track
and share information across disparate groups.

Implied Requirements:
Either same identifier used throughout the process or when different
identifiers are used a mechanism is needed to relate them.

2.
End users would like to know what vulnerabilities exist in order to
track through the assessment, prioritization, and remediation lifecycle
for any vulnerabilities that exist within their environment

Implied Requirements:
All vulnerabilities are identified and listed to the end user
Enough actionable information is associated with the identifier to
allow an end user to perform necessary activities

3.
End users would like to have a common identifier for vulnerabilities in
order refer to vulnerabilities using the same methodology while using
different/multiple tools as part of their vulnerability management
lifecycle.

Implied Requirements:
Interoperable identifier used by a broad cross-section of
tools/information providers (absent that, some methodology to relate
vulnerabilities will be needed)

4.
Information providers would like to provide information about
vulnerabilities in order to assist users throughout the vulnerability
management lifecycle.

Implied Requirements:
All vulnerabilities have an associated identifier and are listed with
enough information to identify the issue

[1]
https://insights.sei.cmu.edu/cert/2014/12/vulnerability-coordination-and-concurrency-modeling.html

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: April 15, 2016