Re: Very Important Message for the Editorial Board

The new, rapid-response federated ID scheme has been carefully designed so that it does not disrupt existing processes and their attendant use cases, and allows for future compatibility with existing CVE identifiers. Federated CVE Identifiers will allow for rapid experimentation with new types of assignments and use cases so that CVE, the CVE Editorial Board, and the community can work together to determine what best serves the needs of the community.

Who will be issuing these? Have any been assigned/announced?

The federated ID syntax will be CVE-CCCIII-YYYY-NNNN…N, where “CCC” encodes the issuing authority’s

Oh dear. So this breaks every piece of CVE tooling/software currently in existence. Before the industry collectively puts a few tens/hundreds of thousands of hours of work and quite a lot of money into supporting this is there any guarantee from Mitre that this is a long term project? There is no mention of how widespread or long this pilot project is going to go for. Can you please provide concrete details?

country and “III” encodes the issuing authority. At its launch, MITRE will be the only issuing authority, but we expect to quickly add others to address the needs of the research and discloser communities, as well as the cybersecurity community as a whole. This new federated ID system will significantly enhance the early stage vulnerability mitigation coordination, and reduce the time lapse between request and issuance.

MITRE is continuing to refine CVE operational capabilities so that automated vulnerability identification, description, and processing are incorporated over time. As both the Federated Pilot and the next phase of CVE operational capabilities are scaled and automated, traditional CVEs can be merged with federated CVEs.

Are there any specific goals/timeframes here? We're still waiting for an ETA on a possible solution for the robots.txt on the CVE web site (http://cve.mitre.org/robots.txt) that blocks all indexing of the CVE content on the web site.

The CVE Team looks forward to working with members of the CVE Editorial Board and the broader community to rapidly expand CVE coverage and implement the federated CVE identification scheme, so that the CVE capability keeps pace with the increasing demand for well-recognized vulnerability identifiers.

I'm a bit worried as the board was never consulted on this as far as I know (no emails, nothing mentioned in the phone call I had). Can anyone on the board confirm that they suggested this/supported this strategy by Mitre?

PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993
Red Hat Product Security contact: secalert@redhat.com

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: March 17, 2016