Re: CVE ID Issuance Strategies Using the New ID Syntax

I agree with Ken here. There is no reason we should change what we have been doing for the past 14 years.  Leading zeros should be continued.

As for truncation, I again agree we need to do just what we have done in the past.  Trying to mask the problem with special this and special that is wrong.  Let the chips fall where they may.  Customers will bitch at the vendors and the open source community will correct discovered problems quickly.

From my perspective, the approaches recommended by Ken are going to get us where we want to be quicker.

Kent Landfield

McAfee | An Intel Company
Direct: +1.972.963.7096
Mobile: +1.817.637.8026
Web: www.mcafee.com

From: <Williams>, James K <James.Williams@ca.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:29 PM
To: "coley@mitre.org" <coley@mitre.org>, "cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org" <cve-editorial-board-list@lists.mitre.org>
Subject: RE: CVE ID Issuance Strategies Using the New ID Syntax

LEADING ZEROES
--------------
I recommend continuing the practice of the past 14 years, and using the leading zeroes (for the first 999 IDs).

TRUNCATION MITIGATION
I think we should issue identifiers and blocks exactly as we have done in the past.  As long as we communicate effectively about identifier changes in the coming months, problems should be minimal.

Thanks and regards,
Ken Williams, Director
CA Technologies Product Vulnerability Response Team
CA Technologies Business Unit Operations