Re: Sources: Full and Partial Coverage

In a perfect world, we'd cover all products from all sources.  The reality is with limited resources we need to prioritize.

As this discussion continues, how would we determine which sources have the most value?   I think intrinsically, we know those already.

Which products do we attempt to be thorough with?  And conversely, which products do we cover only if a new serious exploit pops up?

We need to help the CVE Team figure out what is most important both from a product and source perspective.  Prioritization guidance and executable procedures are critical here.

As usual, I don't have any brilliant ideas.  This is a tough problem that is going to take some thought.

Scott

Scott A. Lawler, CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP
Lightspeed Technologies, Inc.
703-509-9330

On May 8, 2012, at 1:58 PM, Steven M. Christey wrote:

> Tim and Brian,
>
> EDB at least has a field that states whether they've independently verified each issue or not, and it is very commonly referenced, so that's one reason it has more focus than the others.  We do pick up Packet Storm on a fairly regular basis.  We have not examined whether inj3ct0r provides any additional or significant value, or any of the dozens of similar vulnerability databases across the Internet.  The commonality between all these sources increases the workload significantly, so it had evolved (at least to the point of this Board discussion) to more closely watch Exploit-DB than the others.
>
> - Steve
>

> On Tue, 8 May 2012, Tim Keanini wrote:
>
>> They did discuss the others but just listed EDB as a class of sites that should be represented. The point was that if there is exploit code being published, it should always have a CVE.
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation on RealPlayer.
>>
>> Given that our VERT team has to prioritize what customers want regardless of CVE or not, they go through the same type of prioritization process but more driven by application classes.  There is a product management function that surveys our customer base once per quarter to make sure we have their relevancy in mind when we develop content.
>>
>> --tk
>>
>> --
>> Tim "TK" Keanini, CTO    ...    nCircle Inc.   ...   mbl (415) 328-2722  ...

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: November 06, 2012