RE: Counting on CVEs

In my understanding to this thread, Kent raises three main points:
- The count of members who are of the set CVE (by the people who count
CVE)
- Technical Limitation of the CVE name (namespace boundary)
- The operational quality and quantity of resources within the CVE
counting process (how a CVE comes in to being)

The crux of the problem as a I see it goes something like this: if the
desire is for CVE to be canonical and primary for every vulnerability
reference on a global scale, it certainly is not resourced that way and
the operational resources to really success at this goal is unknown at
this time.

Unless someone can argue otherwise, the growth limits with CVE counts
over the years has more to do with the process capacity to do the
counting and not the expansion of things to be counted.  If this
assertion is true, we have at least two choices:

Option A- address the operational resources required to get to the
resolution required by the market to count these items.  There will
always be some tolerance because this can never be perfect.  Once
identified, some business model must be put in place to sustain growth
and quality.
Or
Option B- create a more ontological model that considers CVE not the
primary or root but just another piece of metadata use to reify some
other assertion.  As a vendor, I can only control what I can control and
that is my own internal ID which are organizationally closed for my own
data integrity.
nCircle-ID-667 -has-CVE-ID-> CVE-xxxx-xxxx
nCircle-ID-667 -has-CVE-v2-ID->
CVE-xxxx-xxxx-withextension-yyyy-for-future-format
nCircle-ID-667 -has-Secunia-ID-> Unique-Secunia-ID
nCircle-ID-667 -has-OSVDB-ID-> Unique-OSVDB-ID
(for those of you who know me, I would rather be working on a standard
ontological model that any vendor interoperate no matter what the
resolution or primary identifier.  The goal of interoperability should
be to compute syntactic or semantic equivalence )
Call me pragmatic but this is an example of what I have done, not asking
for anyone else to follow.  Just needed an example where CVE was not
primary but one of the inverse-functional-properties that can be used
for saying that this is the same as that (compute equivalence)

Call me old and jaded but I just don't see how the CVE operational team
gets the resources they need to succeed when no one is really paying for
the quality or quantity of their efforts.  I mean this with the utmost
respect for that team since I know most of the members personally and
know the tireless hours they put in.  "NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!" :-)

--tk