Re: CVE Information Sources & Scope

On 2011-10-04 10:39, Mann, Dave wrote:

> The yard-stick by which to consider these is, does CVE need to capture vulnerabilities from this source in order to full-fill its charter?

IMO, the bigger discussion is the future of CVE, and therefore the
future (or revised, reviewed, refreshed) charter.

Is CVE looking for original sources of vul information?  Or broad
coverage?  Or efficient coverage of the "biggest" news in vuls?

The list below is adequate if a bit dated, and duplicative (CIAC changed
their name, CIAC and AusCERT only republish vul information IIRC).

We (CERT/CC) have a similarly adequate, but dated list.  We're also
possibly more interested in the first hints of a new vul report instead
of something more authoritative that is ready for a CVE ID.

More new vul information comes out via twitter and blogs these days.
Seems most of it probably reaches the sources below at some point.
Exploit lists (metasploit, exploitdb) are other sources of new vul
information, depending on what CVE is looking for.

Back to the bigger picture, I'm on the side of issuing more CVE IDs
faster for more vul reports, having reasonable ways to distribute
assignment and manage duplicates and false alarms.  Accurate analysis is
great, but can come a few days after the ID is issued.  So my opinion is
that CVE should refocus on being *the* leading, fairly comprehensive
source of IDs (enumeration) for vul reports.  Some other capability can
do analysis or add further value later.

Goals, in time order (and as more information about a vul report becomes
available):

1. Assign ID to vul report (More CNAs?  More active CNAs?)
2. Manage duplicates, mistakes, etc.
3. Refine assignments (further duplicate resolution, merge/splits, final
arbitration)
4. Accurate analysis

Don't wait for #4 to issue a CVE ID.  Users need to be able to talk
about "the thing" (a vul report), even (unfortunately) if "the thing"
turns out to be a duplicate or false alarm.

> Government Information Sources
>   US-CERT Advisories (aka CERT-CC Advisories)
>   US-CERT Vulnerability Notes (CERT-CC)
>   US-CERT Bulletins (aka Cyber-Notes)
>   DoD IAVAs
>   NISCC
>   AUS-CERT
>   CIAC
>

> CNA Published Information
>   CMU/CERT-CC
>   Microsoft
>   RedHat
>   Debian
>   Apache
>   Apple OSX
>   Oracle
>

> Non-CNA Vendor Advisories
>   Solaris
>   Suse
>   Mandriva
>   HP-UX
>   SCO
>   AIX
>   Cisco IOS
>   Free BSD
>   Open BSD
>   Net BSD
>   Gentoo (Linux)
>   Ubuntu (Linux)
>

> Mailing Lists & VDBs
>   Bugtraq
>   Vuln-Watch
>   VulnDev
>   Full Disclosure
>   Security Focus
>   Security Tracker
>   OSVDB
>   ISS X-Force
>   FRSIRT
>   Secunia
>   Packet Storm
>   SecuriTeam
>   SANS Mailing List (Qualys)
>   Neohapsis (Security Threat Watch)

 - Art

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: November 06, 2012