Re: The CVE-10K Problem

Steve,
Option 4 will be the best approach for the CVE audience that has been built
up over the life of the project.  A radical shift to random numbers will
confuse people.

I think it's important that we keep the year in there.  I know that it's off
a little sometimes.  But, it's very useful when talking to vendors to be
able to ask them why they haven't fixed a 3-4 year old vul that has been
clearly identified in the community.

On the tool vendors, I defer to them as the owners of those products but
this type of change should not be a major issue as long as we give them a
very clear definition of the field and sufficient time to implement it.

Many thanks to Pascal for pointing out this important issue.  My hope is
that the numbers will eventually start trending down.  But, there are more
and more software developers in the world cranking out more and more
software so maybe this trend is to be expected.

What I'm implying is that until software vendors, universities, and
purchasers demand and implement secure coding practices, we will probably
continue to see the trend increase.  When the cost to manage vulnerabilities
and compromises reaches a certain economic and/or social threshold, the
trend will move back down.  It's arguable whether we are there now or not.

Because of the increasing volume, I think it's important that the Board help
come up with some creative ideas to help the CVE team manage this workload.

Suggestions:

A. Only manage vuls on software titles with over 1 million copies in use
B. Only track vuls with remote root/admin implications
C. Only track vuls for most current versions of software

I realize that these suggestions may not be practical...just attempting to
stir up discussion.  How can we help Steve continue to succeed?

Scott