[TECH] High-level candidates for recent SNMP problems

All,

The recently announced SNMP problems pose a special challenge for
using CVE candidates.  The basic problem is that the CVE content
decisions dictate that we should provide different candidates for each
implementation that is affected by the PROTOS suite (Jim Magdych, this
probably isn't a good time to bring up old arguments please ;-)

Despite the number and complexity of the issues, the CVE content
decisions are pretty clear on how candidates should be assigned:

- separate candidates for each affected codebase (CD:SF-CODEBASE)

- separate candidates for each type of problem within the same
  codebase (CD:SF-LOC) and version

However, there is insufficient information at this time to assign the
proper number of candidates.  So, we currently only have a few
candidates, and they are at a level of abstraction that is higher than
they "should" be (relative to content decisions).

The codebase issue is a difficult one, but the general approach will
probably be to distinguish by vendor, unless there is clear proof that
multiple vendors use the same codebase.

Below is the current list of candidates that CERT/CC has assigned and
publicized.  They will be on the CVE web site within an hour.  They
will likely change rapidly and without notice.

As we better understand the specifics, I will be assigning separate
candidates to the more explicitly identified issues.  If other general
"classes" of vulnerabilities are also discovered, it is likely that
other high-level candidates will be created for that, too.

This is a prime example of how CVE content decisions are dependent on
the amount of available information.  I've been able to remove the
dependencies of content decisions on certain types of information, but
there is still a reliance on problem types, affected codebases, and
affected versions.  I alluded to this difficulty in a post to Bugtraq
a week or two ago.

Candidate: CAN-2002-0012
Final-Decision:
Interim-Decision:
Modified:
Proposed:
Assigned: 20020110
Category: SF
Reference: ISS:20020212 PROTOS Remote SNMP Attack Tool
Reference: URL:http://www.iss.net/security_center/alerts/advise110.php
Reference: CERT:CA-2002-03
Reference: URL:http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-03.html
Reference: CERT-VN:VU#107186
Reference: URL:http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/107186

Vulnerabilities in a large number of SNMP implementations allow
remote attackers to cause a denial of service or gain privileges via
SNMPv1 trap handling, as demonstrated by the PROTOS c06-SNMPv1 test
suite.  NOTE: It is highly likely that this candidate will be SPLIT
into multiple candidates, one or more for each vendor.  This and other
SNMP-related candidates will be updated when more accurate information
is available.

Candidate: CAN-2002-0013
Final-Decision:
Interim-Decision:
Modified:
Proposed:
Assigned: 20020110
Category: SF/CF/MP/SA/AN/unknown
Reference: ISS:20020212 PROTOS Remote SNMP Attack Tool
Reference: URL:http://www.iss.net/security_center/alerts/advise110.php
Reference: CERT:CA-2002-03
Reference: URL:http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-03.html
Reference: CERT-VN:VU#854306
Reference: URL:http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/854306

Vulnerabilities in the SNMPv1 request handling of a large number of
SNMP implementations allow remote attackers to cause a denial of
service or gain privileges via (1) GetRequest, (2) GetNextRequest, and
(3) SetRequest messages, as demonstrated by the PROTOS c06-SNMPv1 test