Re: [CVEPRI] Adding Confidence Levels to CVE

Interesting...  I thought for sure that this topic would generate a
lot of discussion on the list.  My original email is included below.

I did receive some private replies.  Here's a basic summary.  Feel
free to weigh in on this proposal.

Two Board members expressed support for the idea.  One observation was
that multiple voting roles could evolve as a result: one set of "early
warning" voters might review the initial reports and vote with low
confidence, and later voters might give higher confidence levels to
candidates/entries as they become verified, e.g. by inclusion in
assessment products.

One member is actively reviewing the proposal but is initially
receptive to the idea.

Another member pointed out some potential problems.  While there
aren't any public databases that have confidence levels, some private
databases do have this information, so CVE could effectively compete
with these databases.  In addition, confidence levels could give CVE a
"value added" in comparison with databases that don't have a
confidence level, so it could increase competition in that sense as
well.

An alternate approach was posed by another member: instead of
assigning individual levels, list the individuals or organizations who
claim to have discovered or verified the problem.  The benefit of this
is that each user could build their own "web of trust."  One cost is
that it could be more difficult for the average consumer to determine
whether they should trust something or not.  Also, the discoverer is
often recorded in databases, so this would have some overlap.

Without additional feedback from the Board, the likely result will be
to exclude confidence levels.  CVE must remain as non-competitive as
possible with existing and future databases.  This philosophy is
critical to the community-wide adoption of CVE and, as such, has a
high priority relative to the technical merits or community needs of
confidence levels.  Other efforts could generate confidence
information, independently of CVE.  So there will need to be
overwhelming reasons for adopting confidence levels despite the
benefits to the CVE process itself.

Without the "technical relativism" of confidence levels, we will be
forced to tackle an important issue head-on: whether an official CVE
entry should identify a fully-verified security problem, or whether it
should merely constitute an agreement to use the same name to
accurately identify a potentially erroneous vulnerability report.