Re: [PROPOSAL] Cluster RECENT-22 - 33 candidates

* Steven M. Christey (coley@LINUS.MITRE.ORG) [000712 02:06]:
> [...]
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&msg=Pine.LNX.4.10.9908270039010.16315-100000@thetis.deor.org
> Reference: BUGTRAQ:20000601 Local FreeBSD, Openbsd, NetBSD, DoS Vulnerability - Mac OS X affected
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&msg=NCBBKFKDOLAGKIAPMILPCEJLCEAA.labs@ussrback.com
> Reference: BID:622
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/622
>
> FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD allow an attacker to cause a denial of
> service by creating a large number of socket pairs using the
> socketpair function, setting a large buffer size via setsockopt, then
> writing large buffers.
>

> ED_PRI CAN-2000-0489 3
>

> VOTE: ACCEPT
>
> =================================
> Candidate: CAN-2000-0490
> Published:
> Final-Decision:
> Interim-Decision:
> Modified:
> Proposed: 20000712
> Assigned: 20000711
> Category: SF
> Reference: BUGTRAQ:20000601 Netwin's Dmail package
> Reference: URL:http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2000-05/0407.html
> Reference: BID:1297
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1297
>
> Buffer overflow in the NetWin DSMTP 2.7q in the NetWin dmail package
> allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands via a long ETRN
> request.
>

> ED_PRI CAN-2000-0490 3
>

> VOTE: ACCEPT
>
> =================================
> Candidate: CAN-2000-0491
> Published:
> Final-Decision:
> Interim-Decision:
> Modified:
> Proposed: 20000712
> Assigned: 20000711
> Category: SF
> Reference: BUGTRAQ:20000521 "gdm" remote hole
> Reference: URL:http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2000-05/0241.html
> Reference: SUSE:20000524 Security hole in gdm <= 2.0beta4-25
> Reference: URL:http://www.suse.de/de/support/security/suse_security_announce_49.txt
> Reference: BUGTRAQ:20000607 Conectiva Linux Security Announcement - gdm
> Reference: URL:http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2000-06/0025.html
> Reference: CALDERA:CSSA-2000-013.0
> Reference: URL:ftp://ftp.calderasystems.com/pub/OpenLinux/security/CSSA-2000-013.0.txt
> Reference: BID:1233
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1233
> Reference: BID:1279
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1279
> Reference: BID:1370
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1370
>
> Buffer overflow in the XDMCP parsing code of GNOME gdm, KDE kdm, and
> wdm allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands or cause a
> denial of service via a long FORWARD_QUERY request.

The BID 1233 vulns is different from the other ones. BID 1233 uses
a FORWARD_QUERY request to overflow an in_addr structure via a memmove
in daemon/xdmcp.c, gdm_xdmcp_handle_forward_query(). In BID 1370
a buffer is overflowed by a sprintf in xdmcp.c, send_failed().

> [...]
> Proposed: 20000712
> Assigned: 20000711
> Category: SF
> Reference: BUGTRAQ:20000601 DST2K0006: Denial of Service Possibility in Imate WebMail Server
> Reference: URL:http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bugtraq&m=95990195708509&w=2
> Reference: BID:1286
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1286
>
> Imate Webmail Server 2.5 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of
> service via a long HELO command.
>

> ED_PRI CAN-2000-0507 3
>

> VOTE: ACCEPT
>
> =================================
> Candidate: CAN-2000-0509
> Published:
> Final-Decision:
> Interim-Decision:
> Modified:
> Proposed: 20000712
> Assigned: 20000711
> Category: SF
> Reference: BUGTRAQ:20000601 DST2K0008: Buffer Overrun in Sambar Server 4.3
> Reference: URL:http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bugtraq&m=95990103207665&w=2
> Reference: BID:1287
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1287
>
> Buffer overflows in the finger and whois demonstration scripts in
> Sambar Server 4.3 allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands
> via a long hostname.
>

> ED_PRI CAN-2000-0509 3
>

> VOTE: ACCEPT
>
> =================================
> Candidate: CAN-2000-0521
> Published:
> Final-Decision:
> Interim-Decision:
> Modified:
> Proposed: 20000712
> Assigned: 20000711
> Category: SF
> Reference: BUGTRAQ:20000605 MDMA Advisory #5: Reading of CGI Scripts under Savant Webserver
> Reference: URL:http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2000-05/0469.html
> Reference: BID:1313
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1313
>
> Savant web server allows remote attackers to read source code of CGI
> scripts via a GET request that does not include the HTTP version
> number.
>

> ED_PRI CAN-2000-0521 3
>

> VOTE: ACCEPT
>
> =================================
> Candidate: CAN-2000-0524
> Published:
> Final-Decision:
> Interim-Decision:
> Modified:
> Proposed: 20000712
> Assigned: 20000711
> Category: SF
> Reference: BUGTRAQ:20000604 Microsoft Outlook (Express) bug..
> Reference: URL:http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2000-06/0045.html
> Reference: BID:1333
> Reference: URL:http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1333
>
> Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express allow remote attackers to cause
> a denial of service by sending email messages with blank fields such

There was plenty of people that could not reproduce the problem although
some did. More research (as in actual testing) is probably required.

--
Elias Levy
SecurityFocus.com