RE: Cybercrime treaty

I agree with this, and I have had an initial discussion of the matter with
Howard Schmidt about it. As soon as we can get something nailed down (and
Stuart's post looks like a great start), I am going to try and push so that
this isn't just IMHO, but also something that Microsoft Information Security
will stand behind as well.

> Steve, could you ask those who question a board statement if they'd be
> more willing to accept a disclaimer within the text, such as:
>
> "In our capacity as security experts, <Treaty> has recently
> come to our
> attention, and we have some concerns about it, specifically Article
> 6."
>
> Or at the bottom: "Affiliations are listed here for identification
> purposes only."
>
> This allows a board statement to be made without drawing in all of the
> organizations which we may or may not represent.

We really need to sort this out. We have a real need as a group to deal with
this issue in a positive, pro-active manner. If certain members have a need
to drop out of this for their own reasons, then I want to come up with some
way to speak as a group without diluting the message. It may just be a
matter of spinning it properly. If we demand 100% consensus to ever speak as
a group, we'll never say anything. I do very well understand the perils of
speaking for your company without proper authorization, but I know that we
need to speak out on this.