Re: INTERIM DECISION: ACCEPT 5 SA category candidates (Final 9/28)

I agree with Spaf that it's possible for finger to not be an
exposure, but his argument is not convinving that there aren't cases
for which running finger is an exposure.  In addition, running a
modified version of the services is not relevant to this vote, since
we are voting on the regular version.  All 4 requirements mentioned
by Spaf are a likely scenario.  In addition, finger and co. may be
useful to hide from admins (e.g., logoff when they login).  So, even
if a system has no vulnerabilities to be exploited, those services
may be considered an exposure because they could help attackers evade
detection -- assuming someone wants to know who tries to attack.
Pascal

ACCEPT
>=================================
>Candidate: CAN-1999-0612
>Published:
>Final-Decision:
>Interim-Decision: 19990925
>Modified: 19990924-01
>Proposed: 19990721
>Assigned: 19990607
>Category: SA
>Reference: XF:finger-out
>Reference: XF:finger-running
>
>The finger service is running.
>
>Modifications:
>  ADDREF XF:finger-out
>  ADDREF XF:finger-running
>
>VOTES:
>   ACCEPT(4) Wall, Northcutt, Baker, Ozancin
>   MODIFY(1) Frech
>
>COMMENTS:
> Frech> XF:finger-out
> Frech> XF:finger-running

NOOP
>=================================
>Candidate: CAN-1999-0624
>Published:
>Final-Decision:
>Interim-Decision: 19990925
>Modified: 19990924-01
>Proposed: 19990721
>Assigned: 19990607
>Category: SA
>Reference: XF:rstat-out
>Reference: XF:rstatd
>
>The rstat/rstatd service is running.
>
>Modifications:
>  ADDREF XF:rstat-out
>  ADDREF XF:rstatd
>
>VOTES:
>   ACCEPT(3) Northcutt, Baker, Ozancin
>   MODIFY(1) Frech
>   NOOP(1) Wall
>
>COMMENTS:
> Frech> XF:rstat-out
> Frech> XF:rstatd

ACCEPT
>=================================
>Candidate: CAN-1999-0626
>Published:
>Final-Decision:
>Interim-Decision: 19990925
>Modified: 19990924-01
>Proposed: 19990721
>Assigned: 19990607
>Category: SA
>Reference: XF:rusersd
>Reference: XF:ruser
>
>The rusers/rusersd service is running.
>
>Modifications:
>  ADDREF XF:rusersd
>  ADDREF XF:ruser
>
>VOTES:
>   ACCEPT(3) Northcutt, Baker, Ozancin
>   MODIFY(1) Frech
>   NOOP(1) Wall
>
>COMMENTS:
> Frech> XF:rusersd
> Frech> XF:ruser

ACCEPT
>=================================
>Candidate: CAN-1999-0627
>Published:
>Final-Decision:
>Interim-Decision: 19990925
>Modified: 19990924-01
>Proposed: 19990721
>Assigned: 19990607
>Category: SA
>Reference: XF:rexd
>
>The rexd service is running.
>
>Modifications:
>  ADDREF XF:rexd
>
>VOTES:
>   ACCEPT(4) Wall, Northcutt, Baker, Ozancin
>   MODIFY(1) Frech
>
>COMMENTS:
> Frech> XF:rexd

ACCEPT