RE: Candidate numbering scheme

Team,

I've been quiet on the number scheme until now, but I agree with Elias. Two
sets of numbers introduce a lot of overhead in cross referencing and could
confuse people. Even worse, the candidate numbers may be used in lieu of the
final CVE index.

There are at least three alternatives:

- Submit the new vulnerability for review to the cve-review group. If a
suitable CVE already exists, then you could pass that value to the members
for consideration. The moderators would return an acknowledgement of the
existing CVE or the new number within a set time.

- Submit new vulnerabilities that need new CVEs to the cve-review group.
This method minimizes gaps due to duplicate or existing requests, but
introduces human intervention and a necessary delay.

- Submit new vulnerabilities that need new CVEs to an automatic CVE number
generator. This method produces an instant response without prior human
intervention, but potentially introduces gaps in the CVE indexing.

Respectfully submitted,

Andre Frech
X-Force Security Research
afrech@iss.net

Internet Security Systems, Inc.
678.443.6241 / fax 678.443.6479
www.iss.net

Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise