Re: speaking of hardware CVEs

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017, Kurt Seifried wrote:

: This timely article is out:
:
https://www.cylance.com/en_us/blog/uefi-ransomware-full-disclosure-at-black-hat-asia.html

: seems like some UEFI implementations are lacking basic security
: checks/best practices, I would think failing to sue those things
should
: be CVE worthy in the modern world.

Devil's advocate:

CVE has largely said they will not create for default credentials, even
when it means complete administrative access to the app/device/OS [1].
If
that isn't CVE-worthy, then "missing other best practices" doesn't seem
like it would qualify either.

.b

[1] I realize there are a few default-related IDs, sometimes because
researchers reserve it (e.g. CVE-2017-3186), a CNA assigns for it (e.g.
CVE-2016-9215), or when MITRE assigns for it rarely (e.g.
CVE-2016-6667).

Page Last Updated or Reviewed: March 13, 2017