Process for Adding New Board Members
Date: September 13, 2001Document version: 0.2
Table of Contents
This document formalizes the high-level process that is used for identifying, evaluating, and adding new members to the CVE Editorial Board. Background discussion of the development of this process is contained in the summaries for CVE
Editorial Board meetings that were held in March 2001 and June 2001, available at:
1. Prospect Identification
MITRE identifies a prospective Editorial Board member ("prospect"), typically through one of the following scenarios:
- A current Board member recommends the prospect.
- The prospect, or the prospect's parent organization, asks to be a member.
- MITRE determines a community that is under-represented, and identifies prospects in that community.
2. MITRE Evaluation
The prospect is evaluated by MITRE through one or more discussions. At least one discussion, an "interview," is held face-to-face or by phone.
- The prospect is presented with the detailed list of member roles and tasks.
- MITRE and the prospect identify and discuss the prospect's role and expected tasks.
- The prospect provides MITRE with biographical information (such as a resume) that demonstrates an ability to perform the tasks.
- The prospect, and the prospect's parent organization, approves the level of effort required for the prospect's participation.
Based on these discussions, MITRE determines if the prospect is qualified to be a Board member, and the process moves to the Editorial Board Review step.
3. Editorial Board Feedback
- MITRE announces a qualified prospect to the Editorial Board through a private mailing list.
- Editorial Board members are provided with at least two (2) weeks to provide feedback to MITRE regarding the prospect, and request additional information if desired.
- After the review period, MITRE uses Editorial Board feedback to help guide whether the prospect should be approved for membership.
4. Membership Approval
If the prospect is approved by MITRE after the Editorial Board Feedback step, then MITRE adds the prospect as a full member to the Board.
- The new member is announced to the public Editorial Board mailing list. The announcement includes the member's biographical information, role, and expected tasks.
- The new member is announced on the CVE Web site.
- The new member begins participating actively, in accordance with their expected tasks, within two (2) months of their addition to the Board.